Thursday, May 7, 2015

ADOPT AN EVENING

Before the October trip to New York City, my goal was to raise money for an “Adopt an Evening” event at the New York City Rescue Mission in New York City.  The Adopt an Evening goes like this, you, or an organization, brings the meal to the Mission, and you, or the organization, serves it.  The mission staff will help, but basically you, or the organization, take the ball, and can do it any style you wish too.  Since I was so far away, it would be difficult to pull together some macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, and veggie for 300+ people with no place to cook it.  Getting it on the subway would have been really interesting,  So instead of that, I would raise funds to pay for the meal.  The Adopt an Evening cost is $750.00 for one evening meal.  It costs $2.50 per person.  I figured I would find 75 people to give me $10 for the “Adopt an Evening” event.  In exchange for the funds, I would put their name on a “prettified” list and in essence, take them with me.  The Adopt an Evening Event would take place on October 26, 2014.  The list would be displayed for the many hungry men, women and children to see as they came by to pick up their plate of food.  Many people came forward to help, some giving more than $10.  We were able to raise $600.00.  (I’m sure you are saying, “Awww…that’s too bad…..Didn’t meet the goal….Better luck next time.”)   Well, God knew the need, because we had 240 guests on that night.  Do the math…240*$2.50 equals……drum roll please…$600.00.

(This is a copy of the "prettified" list.  I have several pictures from that night that disappeared.  This list was framed and sat on the counter, so that everyone could see it, as they were served.)


NEW YORK CITY RESCUE MISSIO
ADOPT AN EVENING
October 26, 2014

Rich C
Maine
Paul J.
Maine
Ben C
Maine
Debbie J.
Maine
Joey C
Maine
Daryl S.
Maine
Lynn T
Maine
Julie S.
Maine
Debbie G.
Maine
Gerry G.
Maine
Terry W.
Maine
Mary Lou G.
Maine
Liz W.
Maine
Cecila B.
Maine
Richard M.
Maine
Dick S.
Maine
Debbie M.
Maine
Nancy S.
Maine
Pat O.
Maine
Dwight J.
Maine
Connie O.
Maine
Lynn J.
Maine
Julie C.
Maine
Bethany F.
Maine
Steve C.
Maine
Danny A.
Maine
Tammy D.
Florida
Kathy A.
Maine
Robert D.
Florida
Ric W.
Maine
Melissa W.
Kansas
Pearl W.
Maine
Vince W.
Kansas
Peter .
Maine
Jen J.
Maine
Debbie G.
Maine
Terry H.
Maine
Rich W.
Maine
Dianne H.
Maine
Cindy W.
Maine
Missy S.
Maine
Maria
Maine
Andrea P.
Maine
Jaceil S.
Maine
Sharon H.
Maine
Kylie W.
Maine


Priscilla S.
Maine



Since I was on my own, the Mission asked the great people of Rescuing Leftover Cuisine https://www.facebook.com/RescuingLeftoverCuisine to pitch in and help serve.

Here comes the great part of that evening.  I arrived at the Mission in the afternoon.  I had checked in with Chef Sal earlier in the day to make sure that things were on for the evening.  Come to find out, he had not been notified that I was not bringing the actual food, so was not prepared for the evening.  He quickly put a great meal together.  Anyway, I arrived an hour or two before the meal, checked in again with Chef Sal to see what I could do to pitch in.  I walked across the dining room floor to get my apron.  I saw a group of residents gathered around talking.   I dug out an apron, put it on.  My back was to the group of men.  I began to walk by the guys and recognized one of them.  This is where it gets interesting.  I said “Hi Christopher.”  He looked up, with a puzzled look on his face.  In a quick disturbed voice he replied, “How do you know my name?”  He obviously didn’t recognize me.  My reply, “We met in January.  I was coming down the stairs to the soup kitchen.  You had just finished your evening meal.”  Suddenly, he jumped up, and came toward me.  He looked at me and said, “IT’S YOU!!! YOU…I’ve been looking for you.  You gave me money for coffee.  Where have you been?!?” 

Christopher in January 2014




















You see Christopher was living on the street in January.  I met him on the stairs going down to the soup kitchen in January.  At that time, he said he was a believer, but had made some bad choices.  He said he was where he was at for a reason.  I gave him $2.00 (that was before the D & D card idea.) to get a cup of coffee.  That was unsolicited.  He did not ask.  I just gave.  That act stuck with him, and he looked for me after that encounter.  He continued to tell me how much had changed in his life.  He is in the resident program.  He has been in the resident program for a few months.
What is really amazing is that I instantly recognized his face.  He had changed a lot.  The pictures show the change.  I think that is why I take time with each one.  I want to absorb their faces.  I want to remember their names.  The encounters are often short, but rich and meaningful, to them and to me.

To go on, Christopher was so excited that he began pulling people in and telling them who I was.  I was the woman who gave him $2.00 for coffee.  It seems so small and insignificant, but monumental to the one in need.  It was like this huge celebration was going on before the Adopt an Evening even started.  How cool is that?!?

Christopher and I, October 26, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment