Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Stirring



It seems that many of the encounters that God directs are centered on drinking coffee or eating a meal.  Thursday afternoon, May 21st was no different, the call for coffee, and writing, was again nagging at my heart’s desire.  I had gotten off the train at W4th and was walking a bit before I went to The Mission.  I actually wanted to stop and do some writing.  Doing that while sipping on a Latte was the direction I was headed.  I stopped off at Crave coffee shop that I’d been to before on previous trips.  I ordered my drink and sat down at a long table with eight stools around it.  I like to sit next to the window so I can look out while I write.  The coffee shop had a few other customers at other tables, and there were some ladies at the end of my table.  I began to write, and sip, not more than 5 minutes went by and a man came in to the shop.  He had a 2x4 that was about 2 feet in length, along with an electrode looking type device.  He was wearing a non-descriptive hat that was quite worn.  Yes, he fit the description that I had seen so many times before.  He had a dollar bill in his hand, and was at the counter trying to order.  He was hovering over the pastry section, pointing at each one, waiting for the affirmative that from the clerk, but all were too much for what he had.
My eyes were fixed on what was happening.  I put my pen down and walked over to the counter, and asked him what he would like.  I couldn’t understand what he said. The clerks were kind of annoyed with him, like they just wanted to get rid of him.  I was between the man behind the counter, and the man with the 2x4, who was now sitting on a stool, closest to the counter, at my table.  I told the man behind the counter to give him what he wanted to eat, and that I would pay.
I noticed there was a customer at the next window ordering who was taking all of this in.  It was difficult to figure out what the 2x4 gentleman wanted because he kept asking for a bologna sandwich.  They didn’t have bologna.  Finally I offered him a chicken wrap, coffee and brownie for dessert.  I got out my found debit card, handed it to the cashier, when suddenly the customer standing at the window ordering took money out of his wallet and handed it to me.  He said, “Here I’m in too,” and handed me some cash.  I looked at him in awe, and thanked him.  He too had been stirred in that moment.
That is the first time in my year and a half of doing this that someone has offered in that situation.  He saw what was happening and wanted to help.  Sometimes people don’t know what to do, so they don’t do anything.  In this case, an opportunity presented itself.  It was like a domino effect.  One action, lead to another.
The 2x4 guy sat down, and ate.  I found out his name was Charles.  He was obviously mentally ill.  I asked him about the 2x4, and electrode-looking device.  He had a logical explanation.  It was a device for measuring something about the full moon.  I’m always willing to engage in a conversation, even if it doesn’t make any sense to me.  It made sense to him.  I gave him Dunkin Donuts cards to use at another time.  We sat, he at one end of the table and me at the other, feasting on the nourishment that each of us needed at that moment.


Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment