Friday, January 24, 2014

Code Blue

There was what is called a Code Blue at the shelter, whenever the temperature dips down below 32 degrees; the guests are allowed to come into the chapel area to stay warm. They are given hot cocoa. The Chef’s prepare not only dinner, but will also prepare lunch to feed the guests. This is extra work and effort on everyone’s part. On Tuesday the 7th there was a Code Blue at the shelter. After working and helping prepare and serve lunch, and peeling and cutting what seemed like an eternity’s worth of sweet potatoes for dinner, I left the shelter to go back to the convent. Along the way I stopped at Times Square. I’d never been there. I wasn’t really sightseeing. I just wanted a glimpse. I decided I wanted to go back to Times Square when it was dark, just to take a picture at night. I also wanted to get a picture of the Empire State Building. After the saying Vespers with the Sisters and eating a silent meal, I went back to Times Square. Of course, it was freezing cold. It was so cold I think my eyeballs froze. All I could think about were the guests, the “Cookie’s “of this world, who could be out in the freezing cold. Even in the subway, there seemed to be no reprieve. Yes, it is out of the wind, but the temperature was just so paralyzingly cold. The individuals who had to be out in the cold, because they had no place to go were occupying my mind as I worked my way back to the subway tunnel. Of course, I got lost again. The resounding theme of my week, but I seem to be always led back to the place that I need to be (What I call “faith-based” directions.) Anyway, I’m coming back through the long subway station around 42nd street, to get to the train to go back to the Convent, when I happen upon a guy playing the guitar. He had his guitar case open to collect money from amused would be fans. But I was astounded by the many that walked by without even acknowledging him. Granted his playing wasn’t all that moving, but I was taken with the fact that this was the only gift that he had to give, and he was actually out there, in freezing cold temps, doing something, and he was doing it with a smile on his face. He had about 2 bucks in the case. Of course, I had walked by, like the hundreds of others, and then I stopped and came back. I listened. Then I asked him if he was living on the street. He said he was in and out of homelessness. I went through the standard list of questions, and then I asked his name. He said with a smile, “Cee.” We talked for a bit. I asked if I could take his picture. He was taken back by that. He said you really respect me. He said others have just done it without asking. He thanked me. I gave him some money for allowing me to take his picture. I told him about the shelter, said I would pray for him, and then moved through the crowd that streamed by, back to the warm comfort of my room and my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment