Sunday, January 5, 2014

First Day

First Day January 5, 2014 I got up early this morning because I wanted to attend the Convent Avenue Baptist Church. Why Convent Avenue Baptist Church? Because when I was making arrangements for lodging, they were one of the many churches I called. I will always remember that phone conversation. After denying me and saying that they didn't have a ministry, the woman on the phone said she would take my name and number and ask people who came into the office if they would put me up. She went on to say that she would pray that I would find a place to stay while volunteering at the shelter. I thanked her. Her response is what made me want to attend a service at Convent Avenue Baptist Church. She said, "I don't think God would like it to much if we didn't care about one another, would he?" That statement blew me away. So this morning I went to Convent Avenue Baptist Church. I made out the visitor card and wrote a note thanking that person for their prayers. I couldn't stay for the whole service because I had committed to having breakfast with the Sisters. I went to the NYC Rescue Mission after finishing breakfast. It took me a bit to get there. After getting turned around a few times and walking by the shelter at least 4 times. I walked in to the shelter. I worked 6 1/2 hours total. Everything that I did today (stacking cup, napkin, fork into a bin; setting tables; cutting bread; making salad (lots of salad); putting a huge pan of rice into a serving pan; peeling garlic; peeling garlic; peeling garlic...) went into serving 162 meals consisting of rice turkey or chicken and gravy and salad. I got to be the one who counted the number of meals given and served each person in need a hot plate of food. I kept the line going even though I was told that I was supposed to do that. Most were thankful. Some were demanding (mostly wanted a plate of food that was bigger than what they were given.). Some were thankful that I was there (they said so.) I have been on my feet all day. I took a break at one point and went to Starbucks (I think they thought it was to much for me, and I wasn't coming back. Proved them wrong and came back after an hour, as I had said.) The reason I did that is I knew that I would be getting out after dark. I wanted to get acclimated with direction, so I would know where the subway station was. I got a little turned around going in. I am tired. My body is tired. My feet are sore. Even with all that I feel so excited and elated that I am here. I'm really here, and walking through it. God is so great. Fear has been one of the looming obstacles in this journey. There have been times that I have been so overcome with it. I could have not done this mission because of it. Every juncture where there has been fear God has put someone to pray over me. I am so very thankful for that. I am exhausted, but I am at peace.

2 comments:

  1. Your fingers must have been awfully stinky after peeling all that garlic!!!! So excited that you are on this journey. I have no doubt that God will open your eyes to lessons you didn't even know you needed to learn. What a gift this is to you and to your family! Keep writing! I promise to keep reading. Love you my friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan.. you sound really happy, tired but happy.. Im excited to hear more..God Bless you, Andrea Patterson

    ReplyDelete