Wednesday, January 8, 2014

God's got the details!

At every turn of this journey, I am learning that God has the details. All I need to do is listen, really listen, and He directs. This is his picture. He’s the director. When I began arranging my lodging for this trip, I called a myriad of places (churches, convents, etc.) One of the first churches I called was, “The Journey.” They have a website. They weren’t very kind or helpful, but hey they were a church. I learned that they are what are referred to as a portable church. Anyway, they completely shut me down, which is okay. I want to be where God wants me to be. Even though they shut me down, for some odd reason I was drawn to look at their website again. When I did, I learned that on January 11 they were going to be giving food out to the homeless in the park. I thought to myself, what a great way to end my trip. So I called them again. The receptionist patched me through to the voicemail of the man who was directing the event. I left a message. He never returned my call. That was a month or so ago. I got to thinking about it again this week. I would really love to end my trip that way, I thought. So I called The Journey Church again (can't say I'm not persistent.) Again, I was referred to the voicemail of the man who was directing the event. Again he did not call back. We make our plans in our hearts, but it is God that directs our steps. So today I go to the shelter to work. There are a couple other volunteers that were there when I arrived. We are all doing our jobs, but today is different. There were all these conversations that were happening between Chef Pedro, Sharon (volunteer), Luther (volunteer), Scott (resident)and myself. I mean we covered a lot of territory in just an hour, or not even. At one point Scott was talking to me, about spiritual things. I have to admit I was half listening, because Chef Pedro and Sharon were talking about ministry, ministering to the needs of others. Scott and I joined in their conversation, and WOW! God figured my Saturday out right there and then. Come to find out Chef Pedro runs a food pantry and needs help on Saturday morning. So he recruited Sharon and I to meet him at his food pantry to give out food. Amazing! So the plan I had tried to make, God already worked it out. I had an AMAZING DAY!

1 comment: