Sunday, January 12, 2014

Right to the very end.....

Sheldon When I get up in the morning, I just ask God to direct me to where he wants me to go, and do what he wants me to do. Today was no different. I just said, “Whatever Lord!””I’m willing!” Today I walked the 15 or so blocks to the 145th street subway. I really wasn’t feeling well again. I didn’t feel like getting a coffee this morning. I wasn’t really eager to go, but I wasn’t eager to stay. I had to be at the bus station by 10:15 because the bus leaves at 11:15. I left the apartment at 9:00 just because I didn’t know how the trains were running. I got off at 42nd street, where the bus terminal is. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go to the gate. Maybe I could use a cup of hot tea, was my thinking. I decided against it and went to the gate, set my heavy stuff down, and sat down. I felt weary, tired and sick. That “ick” feeling had returned. I could have gone to sleep, but I didn’t. I had lots of time. After 30 minutes or so the “ick” feeling disappeared. Yes, I had that craving for latte’ again. Of course the person walking by holding a Starbucks cup helped to reinforce the craving. So I picked up my heavy stuff again, went over to Greyhound Customer Service and asked if there was a baggage check. He said if I wanted to pay $9 I could store 1 bag. Forget that. So I started to wonder a bit to see if the Starbucks was close. I went over to the side where there was a cafeteria style restaurant. I was going to opt for tea. Just as I was getting ready to go in, a man came by, asked if he could help me. I said, “Oh no thank you.” He began walking away. I came to that “maybe he knew the way to Starbucks” feeling. So I shouted across the way, “Do you know where the Starbucks is?” He turned around and waved me over and said, “Yes I do.” He kind of looked like he belonged there, a worker with no tags on. My mother was thinking in my head, but God was thinking in my heart. He wasn’t leading me outside the terminal. I made casual conversation. I asked if he worked there. He said no. I just help people for tips. He proceeded to tell me that he grew up in the 42nd street train station. He knew where everything was. We continued to walk until I saw the Starbucks. He brought me a table which I would need, and helped me put my luggage down. I took out the money I had in my pocket, thanked him for his help but continued to ask him questions. I said, “You must live close by.” He said,”Well, to be honest I am homeless right now. He said, “ My mentor from church wants me to get a job. He’s a really good guy. He tries to help people like me. .” I told him that it wasn’t coincidence that we ran into each other. I told him what I had been doing all week, and that God was knitting together situations like this all week for his glory. I gave him the money, and then asked if I could buy him a cup of coffee. He said, “Yes, that would be great.” I asked if he was hungry. “Have you eaten today?” He said he hadn’t. I got all our stuff and we sat down. We sat and talked until it was time for me to go. He talked about the job that he lost. I encouraged him to get with his Mentor. He said he would. I told him that I would pray for him, as he tried to figure out his life. I told him about the shelter, and that he could get a hot meal every night if he needed. He helped me take my bags back down stairs to the gate. He shook my hand. I could tell that his spirits were lifted. It amazes me how God has knit all these situations together. It amazes me that he would pick me to be a part of this whole week. I am very humbled and in awe of his mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment