Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A.B.

A few days ago (Wednesday, May 21st), I was walking down 22nd Street to 8th Avenue to catch the train to go to the shelter. I went this particular way because there was a grocery store on 8th Avenue between 22nd and 23rd street. I came to a young man; I’d say he was in his mid 20’s. He had a big green hat on (it looked like a throwback to the 70’s.) I approached as I had every other one and asked the question, “Are you homeless?” He shot back, “Now what right have you got asking me that question?” I conceded that he was right. I shouldn’t have started off that way. So I came back with, “You are right.” I took a breath, stuck out my hand. “Hi my name is Sue. What’s your name?” He let his guard down, and said, “AUBU. It’s short for a name you’ll never be able to pronounce, so just call me A.B.” I offered my hand and said, “Nice to meet you A.B.” We shook hands. So I asked the question again. “Are you homeless?” He replied, “I am coming out of homelessness. Things are looking up!” He stopped and said, “Wow! Look at you comin’ up and bein’ all bold and in my face. That’s cool!” And he bumped his forearm to mine. (I instantly went from white to African American.) So I went through the questions per normal. He has faith in God. He was very grateful for the coffee card. He bumped my forearm with his, and we parted ways. I didn’t get a picture. So this morning, (Friday, May 23rd), I left the Convent heading for 42nd street bus station to get my return ticket home. Again I decided to cross over 22nd street to get on 8th Avenue because I again wanted to stop at that grocery store. So I walked down the street taking it all in. I’m always on the look out to see perspective encounters. I see a couple guys working on their stuff. I assume tey are homeless. I walk across the street, and as I got closer I realize it looks like A.B. So I say, “A.B.?” He looked up from what he was doing with his soft colorful personality. He treated me like it was old home week, gave me a hug. We bumped forearms. I couldn’t help but smile. A.B. went back to his work, but continued to talk to me. I introduced myself to his friend. His name was Pop. They were both upbeat, hopeful. Pop was collecting bottles. He was homeless. His faith was in the Lord Jesus Christ. He had a little push cart half-filled with cans and bottles. He said, “It’s hard work. I work until 11 p.m., sometimes later.” I gave him the D&D card and the Mission’s card and told him I would pray for him. I turned back to A.B., who was still working on his project. He said, “That coffee card came just at the right time the other day.” I asked if I could get his picture, but he refused. I felt led to give him another card. A big smile came over his face. He said, “Wow! Your just like the Coffee Fairy!” He bumped his forearm with mine, and said, “I name you Coffee Fairy. Go to www.sue_cf.com.” We both laughed. He hugged me goodbye, and told me to thank the person who gave the card. I continued on my way.
POP

No comments:

Post a Comment