Friday, May 23, 2014

Nicky

After getting out of the shelter today, I had to go to Midtown Manhattan, Madison Avenue to be exact. I needed to get a part for my computer. I had called the week before to make sure they had that particular part. They said they had tons. As soon as I got off the train, I plugged in the address on my g.p.s. I made my way through the crowds of people and lines of traffic and made it to the store. It was crowded, so I had to wait my turn. There was no order to how they waited on you, so I stood trying to wait patiently. Finally, a sales person came over. I asked about the part. He said, “We are sold out.” I told him that I had called last week, and was told that there were plenty in stock. I would not have any problem getting the part. He double checked, and sure enough no part. I walked out of the store kind of dejected, but decided to make the most of my trip to do another errand. I again plugged in the address on my g.p.s., and began making my way to the store (Lego store). This required me to walk down Madison Ave to Park Ave over to 5th (Don’t quote me on that. I’m really bad with directions in the city.) I made my way down Madison Avenue, when I came upon a girl sitting, hugging her knees, with a sign draped over them that read, “Homeless Please help. Thank you.” I walked over and knelt down so she could see me. She was looking all around like she was in a state of high alert, scanning the area. I said, “Hi, my name is Sue. What’s yours?” She responded in a quiet, sweet voice, “Nicky.” “Nicky, I see you.” I reached my hand out, and she met it with hers. I asked the questions. How did it happen? Do you have faith? I have not asked the question, how old are you?” But her appearance begged the question, her answer, “twenty-four.” It was difficult at that point to keep my emotions in check. I looked away for a moment, took a breath, and finished what was before me to do. When I asked her about faith, she said, “Yes, I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.”. I asked how long. Her response, “ten years or so.” I encouraged her to hang on to Him.” I asked her if she had a place to stay. She said the McDonald’s in the area let’s her sleep there at night. She said the program Common Ground is going to help her to get back on her feet, but she is waiting. I gave her the D&D card, and a card with instructions to get to the shelter where she can get a hot meal, and put a couple bucks in her hat that was on the ground. She thanked me in that quiet, sweet voice. I asked if she was thinking of doing something desperate. She looked me in the eye and responded with a solid, No! I said I would pray for her, and have my friends pray for her as well. She agreed to a picture. I encouraged her to not give up, to hang on. I again reached out my hand and she met it with hers. She again thanked me. I got up to continue on my errand, which proved to be fruitless as well. I struggled with my emotions as I walked back to the convent. It became plain to me that I was there for Nicky. It was difficult to walk away.
Nicky, May 22, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment