Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Invisible

The Invisible- Part 1 This morning I decided to have breakfast at the convent before I left for the shelter. They offer just cereal, and I usually get there when all the bowls have been put in the dishwasher and it has been started. This morning I had to dig for a bowl, and got one! I heated my tea and grabbed my cereal went and sat at a table by myself. There were several other women in the room. They all were speaking to each other, laughing, talking, laughing, talking all in Spanish. I hadn’t brought a book or my phone, which would have distracted me. I sat there ate my cereal and listened to all the noise around me. It is a very lonely feeling to be the only one in the room not understanding what is being said. I began to think of the homeless. How lonely it must be day in and day out to see person after person walk by you, not even acknowledging your existence. Yesterday was a very emotionally charged day. I had spent the morning grappling with my emotions for whatever reason. Things were beginning to take their toll on me. I had my breakfast at a diner close to the W23rd & 8th Ave. subway station, so I could see if Derek would go in while I was sitting there. It was close to the time that I saw him a few days previous. After eating, I went across the street and down the stairs. I walked through up the other stairs, just in case he might be outside. As I walked through, there was a man standing, looking at the turn-stiles as if waiting for an invitation. I continued on my mission, to look for Derek. I walked around a little on ground-level, and decided I would move on. I came back down the stairs. I walked by the man, still facing the turn-stile, and turned just before going through myself and walked back to him. I asked if he was waiting for someone. He said, “No.” He didn’t elaborate. He just said no. So I dug a little bit. “What’s your name?” “Nick”, he replied, offering nothing more. “Do you need to get someplace?” “Yes.” “Do you need fare?” “Yes.” I went to the kiosk, dug out my credit card, got a $10 metro card, enough for 3 rides on the subway. I came back over to Nick. I asked him if he had faith. He said, “Yes, I have faith in Jesus Christ.” Nick was not a big talker. I gave him the D&D card, a card to the shelter, and the metro card. I told him I would be praying for him. I took my metro card out and swiped my way through the turn-stile. Nick came right behind me. While waiting for the train I heard someone playing a drum and singing. It was beautiful. I spotted him across the tracks on the other side. In order to get to him I would have to physically cross the tracks or I thought go back out. I wasn’t sure how to get there. Nick was walking across the platform. I asked, “How do I get over there?” Nick didn’t answer, he just pointed to the stairs leading under the tracks. So off I went. NICK

1 comment:

  1. Sue, as I keep reading about this adventure all I can think is, you have no idea the reach of the ripples you're creating with each seemingly tiny deed you do during this trip! Continuing to uphold you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete