Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Invisible Part 2

The Invisible-Part2 RECAP While waiting for the train I heard someone playing a drum and singing. It was beautiful. I spotted him across the tracks on the other side. In order to get to him I would have to physically cross the tracks or I thought go back out. I wasn’t sure how to get there. Nick was walking across the platform. I asked, “How do I get over there?” Nick didn’t answer, he just pointed to the stairs leading under the tracks. So off I went. I walked through the tunnel up the other side, and there he was playing away. He looked my way, acknowledged me with a nod. I waved, and walked closer to him. He stopped and asked very loudly, “You see me?” I said, “Of course, I see you.” He smiled and said, “Nobody sees me. They just walk by.” I have to recap a bit here, because the next piece is very important. As I stated in part one, I had been struggling all morning with my emotions. I had wanted to throw in the towel, go home. This was too hard. I just kept walking through it. This had been an extremely intense week so far. I felt like it didn’t matter; now it seemed that I was on autopilot, just moving through it. Oh I was giving the best I had at the time, but earlier my emotions were raw. Like I said, I kept walking through no matter how hard it was. I asked the man’s name. He had to repeat a few times, because remember we are in a subway tunnel and trains are still moving through, so at times we had to speak loudly in order to hear one another. I finally got it. King One was his name. I told him my name. We shook hands. He went through this diatribe of how he got his name. He said it had all the letters from his birth name, and continued to elaborate on it. He said God gave him that name. Then he jumped to a whole different thing by saying it didn’t matter because God wasn’t going to win in the end. He said, “Look at how things are. There just getting worse and worse. Nobody cares.” He continued on using Bible references to support that God wasn’t going to win in the end.” I disagreed quietly, even though a few hours earlier I had felt that way in my own spirit. I didn’t want him to become combative, so I just let him go on. He went on, and then I would try to steer him to a different direction. I commented on how nice his music was. He told me he hated it. God wanted him to do it, but he didn’t want to do it anymore, “What’s the point? Nobody listens.” My words coming right back at me. I shook his hand again and said, “I’m here in NYC on a mission. God brought me here, to talk to you.” (Now who was the crazy one?”) I asked him if he remembered what he said to me when I walked over to him. I told him what he had said. “You see me?” He shrugged and repeated, “Nobody sees me.” I said, “that’s why I’m here, to see you.” I asked if he liked coffee, he said, “yes” I gave him the D&D card and the card to the shelter. Here is the part that got me. You know how sometimes you are in a noisy place and suddenly it becomes inexplicably quiet. The subway became inexplicably quiet. Kelvin shook my hand and said very clearly, “I call you Queen Sue. Queen Sue you must continue what God has given you to do. You are going the right direction. You are on the right path. Don’t stop until you have completed the work. Just keep going.” My jaw dropped, I couldn’t believe that this seemingly mentally ill man was so clear and to the point with words that I needed to hear in that moment. Wow! I shook Kelvin’s hand again. I thanked him and said I would pray for him. I began to walk away. He asked what music I liked. He said, “How ‘bout some good ole gospel?” I said that would be nice. He began to sing and play, “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” I recorded it. The train came. I waved goodbye. He shouted, “Goodbye Queen Sue.” Of course I jumped on the wrong train, but I didn’t mind.
KELVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment